Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can generate from any fossil fuel including gas, oil, wood and coal. You need to look out for:
- Boiler pilot light flames burning orange, instead of blue
- Sooty stains on or near appliances
- Excessive condensation in the room
- Coal or wood fires that burn slowly or go out
- Families suffering prolonged flu-like symptoms.
You can’t see it. You can’t smell it. You can’t taste it. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas.
If you suspect CO poisoning, your emergency numbers are: 0800 111 999 (gas) 0845 6014406 (coal) 08456 585080 (oil) In a medical emergency, call 999.